Abilities that overlap between consulting and tech gross sales
- Mental curiosity — a pure or realized intrigue about companies and their issues is required in each roles. In consulting, it is a fascination about what the world can appear like sooner or later and in gross sales that is about your shopper’s ache level that your resolution is fixing.
- Skill to work nicely underneath strain — consulting is a service-based business and subsequently if a shopper says leap, virtually on a regular basis you might be saying, how excessive? Most if not all consultants are accustomed to working lengthy hours to satisfy shopper calls for. Gross sales isn’t too dissimilar however the strain is totally different, there are peak intervals when you’re finishing RFPs [request for proposals] or responding to many consumers at a time (and attempting to gauge who’s most severe!) however the strain is extra within the second whereas in consulting it’s just about fixed until you might be on the bench (not at the moment on a mission).
- Sturdy communication — Efficient communication is essential for chairing conferences, presenting findings, studies, and suggestions to shoppers in consulting. In tech gross sales that is very comparable — pitching and main shopper conferences.
- Wonderful interpersonal expertise — Tech gross sales professionals must be outgoing, persuasive, and able to constructing rapport with shoppers precisely the identical as consultants. Each careers have accomplished large issues to assist me construct my skilled community.
- Time administration — Consultants juggle a number of tasks and tight deadlines, requiring wonderful time administration expertise. Gross sales is identical however you might be managing a number of leads and managing your time between shoppers at totally different phases of the gross sales funnel.
Abilities related to consulting solely
- Sturdy analytical expertise — being au fait with Excel and tech typically is just about anticipated in consulting they usually usually have coaching centered on upskilling employees on this.
- Downside-solving expertise — the flexibility to assume in frameworks and resolve issues in a methodical manner and luxuriate in doing so is exclusive to consulting. When I’m with my consulting pals the dialog has such an fascinating stream and tempo as a result of we expect utilizing the identical frameworks and use the consulting fundamentals like agendas, mission planning, SWOTs and pondering in our private lives.
- Diligence — consulting in my view could be very a lot about excellent is healthier than accomplished. You’re employed laborious on tasks and paperwork till there are not any errors or only a few the shopper can disagree with or problem.
- Enterprise acumen — Understanding numerous industries and enterprise fashions is important to supply related and beneficial recommendation to your shoppers in consulting. Consulting taught me quite a bit about pondering large and understanding megatrends.
Abilities related to gross sales solely
- That one KPI, gross sales! — In tech gross sales, the first focus is on producing income by promoting to clients whereas in consulting you may have a number of KPIs (utilisiation, shopper suggestions, forms of shoppers your on, how a lot time you may have spent on BD and many others.)
- Negotiation — Tech gross sales requires the flexibility to barter offers and navigate advanced gross sales cycles constructing upon the stakeholder administration expertise you study in consulting.
- Resilience — Dealing with rejection is a recurring a part of the job in gross sales, and tech salespeople study to be resilient and protracted in pursuit of profitable offers. Though you will get rejected from tasks in consulting or be on the bench, you already know it received’t be lengthy until you find yourself on one other engagement or decide up some BD (enterprise improvement).
- Deep product data: A deep understanding of the tech services or products you might be promoting is important for efficient pitching. Whereas in consulting you’ll be able to excel by chatting with shoppers on the ‘megatrend’ / birdseye view degree.
General, making the leap from administration consulting to tech gross sales (or vice versa) is usually a pure transition.
The transferable expertise gained in consulting, akin to problem-solving, analytical pondering, and enterprise acumen, present a robust basis for a profitable profession in tech gross sales.
It’s important to evaluate your strengths, pursuits, and profession targets to make an knowledgeable determination about which path aligns greatest along with your aspirations.
In case you loved this weblog, catch my half 1 and half 2 conversations with Tamer from CareersTalks under protecting my profession up to now and increasing on these factors and my expertise.
I’ve a draft weblog on the professionals and cons of startup vs company so if you want me to publish this, let me know!
Thanks for studying.