Excessive Dumpsie Dearie Jam – a pleasant Autumn recipe utilizing orchard fruits, with a snap of ginger and a squeeze of lemon.
With another Ninja Foodi (Prompt Pot) Cooking Methodology
The recipe has been on my web site for over 12yrs, however I’m taking few photographs and sharing a brand new printable recipe card.
No one seems to know the place this pleasant identify originated from, though it has been steered that it was an enterprising farmer’s spouse, utilizing up her windfall fruit that got here up with the quirky identify
The jam is assumed to originate from Worcestershire, though Gloucestershire and Herefordshire additionally lay declare to it.
The jam is a stunning deep rosy pink to claret color (relying on which number of plums you employ) and is scrumptious not solely on bread, toast and scones – but additionally when utilized in steamed jam puddings similar to Jam Roly-Poly.
This pleasant English fruit jam cheers up a slice of toast in a trice, in addition to perking up a scone and including glamour to a sponge cake, and it’s VERY seasonal proper now.
The very best information for me is that apples and pears are the principle crop of windfalls that I’m making an attempt to cope with proper now, so I ought to get a bumper crop of this jam this yr!
Making jams, jellies, pickles and chutneys is an historical type of long run preserving – and who can fail to smile when opening a jar of ruby purple strawberry jam within the midst of winter.
The odor redolent of these heady summer season days, even earlier than spooning it on to your toast or scones. N.B. It’s typically often called Dumpsy Dearie Jam.
Extra Jam Recipes on Lavender & Lovage
Recipe for Excessive Dumpsie Dearie Jam
- 450g (1 lb)cooking apples, peeled, cored and minimize into chunks
- 450g (1 lb) pears, peeled, cored and minimize into chunks
- 450g (1 lb) plums, halved and stoned
- 50g (2 ozs) recent ginger root, bruised and tied in a muslin bag
- 1.35kg (2 1/2 lbs) sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
1. Put together fruit and weigh them AFTER they’ve been peeled, cored and stoned.
2. Place all of the fruit and the ginger into a big preserving pan and simmer VERY gently for about 30 to 45 minutes, or till the fruit could be very tender and tender. (Add some water if the fruit doesn’t make sufficient juice itself – and maintain stirring continuously to keep away from the fruit sticking to the underside of the pan.)
3. Take away from the warmth and add the sugar stirring properly. Put the pan again on a mild warmth and stir till the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
4. Convey as much as the boil and cook dinner quickly till the setting level has been reached; check after quarter-hour and each 2 minutes thereafter
5. Removes as a lot scum as you’ll be able to, and stir properly.
6. Discard the ginger within the muslin bag – urgent it properly earlier than eradicating to extract the final of the ginger flavour.
7. Pour into heat, sterilised jam jars and seal. Label and retailer for as much as 2 years in a cool and darkish place.
8. Serve with bread, toast, scones, truffles, pancakes and use in steamed and baked puddings and desserts.
Make this jam within the Ninja Foodi, Prompt Pot or Crockpot Multi-Cooker:
1. Place all the ready fruit into the internal pot of your Ninja (Prompt Pot) and shut the lid. Transfer the strain valve to seal and lock the lid.
2. Flip the machine on and set it to the PRESSURE COOKER setting, HIGH for five minutes. Choose begin.
3. When the time has elapsed, flip the strain valve to open for a speedy launch. Unlock the lid. Stir the jam with a picket spoon.
4. With the lid open, flip the cooker on once more and select SAUTE/SEAR on HIGH. Convey the jam to a rolling boil, testing for a set after 5 minutes, utilizing the flake check. (Dip a big spoon into the pan and scoop out a spoonful. Carry the spoon above the pan and switch it horizontally. If the jam has reached setting level of 104.5℃ ( 220℉) it is going to drip then grasp on the aspect of the spoon)
5. As soon as setting level has been reached, flip the machine off, and utilizing oven gloves, rigorously take away the pot from the outer equipment, to cease the jam persevering with to cook dinner and over set. Place it on a warmth proof mat.
6. Depart the jam to chill for two to three minutes, after which take away any scum from the floor with a big steel spoon.
7. Pour or spoon the jam into clear, heat sterilised jars and canopy with new twist prime lids. Alternatively, seal the jars with waxed discs and when chilly, apply cellophane covers secured with elastic bands. Depart the jars upright and undisturbed to set.
Serving Dimension 1
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 2Complete Fats 0gSaturated Fats 0gTrans Fats 0gUnsaturated Fats 0gLdl cholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g