The IELTS Studying Check requires a number of observe and preparation if you’ll get the very best band rating potential. And one approach to put together is to have understanding of the various kinds of query within the IELTS Studying Check.
Some of the troublesome questions is the “matching data to paragraphs” query, typically known as “matching statements“.
In this sort of query, you have to match statements to paragraphs (or sections) within the studying passage.
On this submit we’re going to take a look at:
- the important thing details about this query kind
- examples of this query
- the studying expertise you have to use
- the widespread issues confronted by IELTS check takers
- I’ll offer you some ideas
- and a technique for approaching this query kind.
- The statements within the query will likely be associated to particular data within the textual content.
- There’ll normally be between 3 and 6 statements.
- You do not want to know what the entire paragraph is about. You simply want to seek out the data within the paragraph.
- The data will normally be in an entire phrase or sentence, not a single phrase.
So let’s take a look at an instance of one in all these query sorts from a previous paper.
As you possibly can see above, you’re given an inventory of statements (there are 4 within the above query). Your activity is to match these statements to the proper sections within the studying textual content.
- Every part within the studying check can have been labelled A, B, C, D, and so on. Your reply will due to this fact be the letter of the part, so A, B, C, D, E, F or G.
- Normally every part is a paragraph, however typically a piece will include 2 paragraphs.
- There’ll normally be extra sections than questions.
Additionally, one part may match a couple of assertion. In different phrases, a piece may include two items of data. So these questions normally embody the phrases, “chances are you’ll use any letter greater than as soon as”.
This kind of query will check a wide range of studying expertise:
- your capacity to skim learn
- your capacity to scan a textual content for particular data
- your capacity to learn for detailed data.
You’ll first have to have the ability to skim the studying passage to get the final which means of every paragraph.
Additionally, you will need to scan for particular phrases throughout the paragraphs.
These phrases could also be an identical to the phrases within the query statements, however they are going to usually be reworded utilizing synonyms, paraphrases and service nouns.
Synonyms, Paraphrases and Service Nouns
The data within the textual content might be going to be written utilizing totally different phrases and phrases to the statements. So this may check your capacity to establish synonyms and paraphrases.
For instance, the assertion in query 14 makes use of the phrase “constructing“. Nonetheless, the precise textual content makes use of the phrase “development“, which is a synonym of “constructing“. So a information of synonyms is necessary.
Paraphrasing entails rewording an entire phrase, typically by transferring totally different components of the sentence round, utilizing synonyms and utilizing totally different components of speech.
For instance, “examples of the wide selection of amenities accessible at some new stadiums” might be paraphrased like this: “many trendy stadia are geared up with accommodations, eating places, convention centres and outlets.”
It’s additionally necessary to have a information of service nouns. Service nouns are nouns which can be utilized to explain a number of totally different concepts. Examples of service nouns embody “improvement”, “concept”, “drawback”, “benefit”, “cause”, “impact”, and plenty of extra.
The statements within the instance questions use service nouns:
- query 14 is asking you to search for destructive attitudes
- query 15 is asking you to search for figures
- query 16 is asking you to search for examples
- query 17 is asking you to search for disadvantages
So understanding the which means of those service nouns is necessary.
As you possibly can see, a large vocabulary will enable you get a excessive band rating within the IELTS Studying Check.
Learn For Element
After getting discovered the phrases and phrases within the textual content that you just suppose MAY relate to the phrases and phrases within the assertion, you then must learn the encompassing textual content rigorously to seek out out IF the textual content actually IS a match for the assertion.
One factor that makes this query kind fairly troublesome is that the solutions don’t seem in the identical order because the questions. The solutions might be anyplace within the textual content, so it takes time to seek out the data.
The second drawback is that the statements don’t normally check with the primary concept of every paragraph. The statements check with particular data inside every paragraph. This implies the “matching statements” query could be very totally different to the “matching headings” query, the place you possibly can normally discover the reply by studying the primary 1-2 sentences of a paragraph. Within the “matching statements” query, the data you want might be anyplace within the paragraph. This makes it an actual check of your scanning expertise.
Additionally, do not forget that one part or one paragraph could match MORE THAN ONE assertion. Many check takers overlook this, and don’t perceive why they will’t discover the reply to one of many statements.
Tip 1: Do that query final. If you happen to do different questions first, you’ll change into acquainted with the passage and this may enable you establish the proper data extra rapidly and simply in a while.
Tip 2: Search first for the data that’s best to seek out. For instance, names, locations, numbers and dates. For instance, query 15 in our instance is asking you to search for “figures” – i.e. “numbers”. Numbers are simpler to seek out than “disadvantages”!
Doing the simpler questions first has 2 advantages:
- Answering the simpler questions will enable you to change into extra acquainted with the content material of the textual content general, which can make it simpler so that you can reply the tougher questions.
- If you’re working out of time and want to maneuver on to the following set of questions, you’ll no less than have gained the marks from the straightforward questions. You won’t get all 4 marks (as in our instance), however you may get 2 from the straightforward ones. It’s higher to maneuver on to the following set of questions than spend a number of time doing exhausting questions.
So that is one approach to method these duties. Be at liberty to adapt it, after all.
Step 1: Learn the directions rigorously
Hopefully, this goes with out saying, however many check takers overlook this. Be sure you know what it’s important to do: is that this actually a “matching statements” query?
Step 2: Learn every assertion
Learn every assertion. Attempt to perceive the primary concept of every assertion. What sort of data must you be in search of?
- Take note of service nouns
- Take into consideration methods the assertion is perhaps paraphrased and what synonyms is perhaps used.
Step 3: Skim the Complete Passage
Skim learn the entire passage – get a common understanding of the textual content, and what every paragraph is about. This may enable you to seek out the paragraph related to every assertion in a while.
You may circle or underline textual content that signifies the primary concept, or write a couple of phrases subsequent to every paragraph.
Step 4: Scan for Data
Select one of many statements (keep in mind, do the simpler statements first, those referring to names, locations, dates, numbers).
If you happen to skim learn the textual content, you then could possibly predict which paragraph matches the assertion as a result of you might have seen one thing within the textual content associated to the assertion.
In any other case, scan the entire textual content till you discover phrases or phrases that could be related to the assertion. Circle or underline these phrases and phrases.
Step 5: Learn for Element
Learn the encompassing textual content, 1-3 sentences. Do these sentences point out the identical factor because the assertion? In the event that they do, write your reply on the reply sheet and cross out the assertion from the query paper.
In the event that they don’t, return to Step 4.
If you happen to’re undecided, learn the textual content rigorously once more…
in case you’re not 100% positive of the reply, perhaps solely 80-90% positive, then you’re in all probability right. There are unlikely to be two locations within the textual content that are much like one assertion.
In order that’s how you can method the “matching statements” IELTS Studying Check query. It’s one of many hardest query within the IELTS Studying Check, but when what to do and practise this rigorously, you are able to do higher than 90% of IELTS candidates.
You may practise this query right here: https://ieltscharlie.com/ielts-reading-test-1/ (questions 14 to 18 are matching data questions)
Good luck with it!